» This week’s big news. Open thread in the comments.
Follow my Twitter account (@ttpolitic) to get news in real time.
On The Transport Politic:
- Hazy future for Transit City as Toronto gears up for mayoral election
- London Underground’s privatization experiment dead as remaining PPP is bought out
- How viable is commuter rail for North Carolina’s Triangle?
- China expands its investment in rapid transit, paving way for future urban growth
- Cincinnati approves funding for streetcar, increasingly likelihood of federal commitment
Adapting to Change
- Brookings Institution: “Reversing 40-yr trend, the percent of Americans commuting by transit was up between 2000 and 2008, while share of those driving alone fell slightly:” http://bit.ly/cCZihU
- Next American City: Hidden in the tax code, a potential surplus of transportation funds: http://bit.ly/aIh1fC
- Dallas DART to tell Council that rapid transit well is dry, cutting off funds for downtown light rail line: http://bit.ly/9N6Qrc
- Toronto prepares to get bike share, planning to adopt 1,000 of Montréal’s Bixi bikes by next spring: http://bit.ly/dCS5Ja
- $500 million Camden-Glassboro rail line, supported by New Jersey Governor Corzine last year, is now on the potential cutting block of new Governor Christie: http://bit.ly/alHJEU
- Tampa plans a vote in November on light rail sales tax: http://bit.ly/bEu6hv
- What kind of improvements can Illinois expect from better rail service? http://bit.ly/9MuFyR
- Union Pacific going full-bore against the California high-speed rail project: http://bit.ly/9ZaCSm
- Rail service considered between New Orleans and Baton Rouge: http://bit.ly/9wtsHc
- Federal Railroad Administration approves preliminary work on high-speed line in Florida: http://bit.ly/aXthIo
- Delhi Metro: An “emerging motif of modernity,” with two million daily riders by September: http://bit.ly/aBaFPX // Also, “hitching hopes on a subway:” http://nyti.ms/cyY82k
- India plans to build new metro systems in Agra, Allahabad and Kanpur as part of a nationwide rail investment: http://bit.ly/dsdbJZ
- Fantastic train passenger density signs proposed for Barcelona, potential easing the commute of thousands: http://bit.ly/alfd45
Image above: Delhi Metro, from Flickr user lawtonjm